Principal / Senior Geotechnical Engineer
£40000 – £60000/annum
Globe Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced Geotechnical Engineer at either Principal or Associate level to join one of the largest private partnerships of Consulting Engineers in the UK.
The company has some very impressive clients and really leading edge technology. The firm has experienced significant growth over recent years by providing a blend of national reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence.
The Ground Engineering team are currently working on projects in many sectors including commercial development, rail and road. As Principal / Senior Geotechnical Engineer you would be responsible for delivering geotechnical and geo-environmental assessments and design, from desk study through to construction. This would include assisting with all elements of geotechnical design/construction issues, providing technical input within that field as part of a multi-disciplinary team, or working separately on particular aspects of geotechnical design/construction, providing advice to the civils team & clients. There would also be the need to assist with bids with technical and other input. A key role would be to identify and develop markets for geo services, both internal and external.
What you’ll need to succeed:
Required Education/Learning Experience
Candidates should ideally have a first degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology, although other disciplines combined with suitable experience may also be acceptable. A Masters in Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Soil Mechanics would be an advantage. You will be or shortly aiming to become a Chartered Engineer with the ICE or a Chartered Geologist with the GeolSoc.
Required Technical Skills
– Able to prepare Desk Study reports and Mining Risk Assessments
– Design and supervision of ground investigations, organising fieldwork, direction of sub-contractors
– Familiarity with all ground investigation techniques
– Logging of soils/rocks to BS5930 / EC7
– Use of geotechnical databases, such as HoleBASE
– Use of slope stability applications, such as SLIDE or SLOPE/W
– Interpretative reporting, including bearing capacity, settlement, pavement design, and foundations
– Experience of working with other disciplines (civil, structural, environmental).
– Appreciation of financials aspects of projects, ability to prepare fee proposals, and able to support others in fee bids.
Desirable Technical Skills
– Design of piles, soil nails, ground anchors, retaining walls, slope stabilisation, dewatering, reinforced soil, surcharge schemes, etc.
– Familiarity with analytical software such as EA R&D 20, RBCA, CLEA to derive site specific thresholds and clean-up criteria
– Familiar with Phase 1 and 2 assessments
– Understanding of the Source-Pathway-Receptor methodology
– An awareness of appropriate remedial strategies and options including process-based methods
– Negotiations with local authorities and agencies
– Supervision of remedial works
– Validation work and associated reporting
– Able to check others work
– Good communication skills, including meeting with clients
– Self-motivated and able to manage own workload within agreed timescales and budgets
– Ability to supervise and manage workload of junior staff
– Present a professional image to all clients and employees
– Smart appearance
– Willing to assist colleagues
If you’re interested in this role, click ‘here’